Oct 19, 2021
The Post Master’s School Social Work Certificate Program in the College of Health and Human Services, Social Work Division prepares candidates for their eligibility to sit for the school social work Illinois Testing System (ILTS) school social worker content area test. The certificate program is designed to assist master’s level social workers in gaining the skills needed to become effective school social work practitioners.
The Post Master of Social Work Certificate in School Social Work Program focuses on school social work from K-21 programs. In addition, the Post PEL coursework addresses cultural competence and social justice for school support personnel.
- To gain eligibility status in accordance with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- Complete coursework in school social work practice, policy, and special education
- Learn to complete social developmental studies
- Gain competence in theories that guide school social work practice
- Engage in field work with actual student clients to prepare for school social work practice (as field is the signature pedagogy of the social work profession)
- Engage in seminar instruction/experience and supervision through internship work
School Social Work Classes and the MSW Program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
GSU Certificate Requirements
- Candidates must meet all university course requirements for a certificate.
- Candidates must complete the 19 credit hour course requirements and field experience.
Prior to receiving the university recommendation for the Professional Educator License, candidates must provide evidence of having passed the School Social Work content area examination of the Illinois Licensure Testing System.
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) has approved the Post MSW Certificate Program to prepare candidates for the Professional Educator License Examination in School Social Work. Candidates must (1) hold a master’s degree in social work, (2) pass the ILTS content test, (3) complete all required competencies, and (4) complete the required internship (see required coursework).
In order to be accepted into this Post-MSW Degree Program, the student must:
- Have earned a Mater of Social Work degree from a CSWE accredited program.
- Submitted an official transcript / proof of degree.
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.00/4.00 scale or better.
Important Program Dates:
- Application for enrollment due by April 1st of each year.
- Program coursework is sequential - it begins Fall Semester of each year.
Required Courses (19 Hours)
Candidates seeking participation in Field Experience coursework are required to:
- complete a current and valid background check;
- attend their internship 3 days per week; and
- attend their internship for the entire K-21 academic school year.
Total Hours for Post-MSW School Social Work Certificate - 19 Hours