Mar 02, 2024
The College of Business
offers a graduate major in Business Analytics leading to a degree of Master of Science in Business Analytics. The Master of Science in Business Data Analytics program is designed to prepare students to use data to add value to organizations. Business analytics is the intersection of business and data science. Data allows organizations to make better decisions, improve business performance, and create efficiencies in business operations. Organizations benefit by improving their ability to compete and formulate strategy in a competitive marketplace that is constantly changing.
A bachelor’s degree in Business Analytics is not required for admission to the program. Students who have earned their baccalaureate degrees in other academic areas will be required to complete appropriate preparatory courses in addition to those required for the master’s degree.
In addition to university admission requirements, applicants must submit the following documents as part of their application package:
- the applicant’s transcript should document completion of a bachelor’s degree in an area such as business analytics, computer science, engineering, information technology, management information systems, math, or a closely related area. Applicants without one of the above related undergraduate degree may be required to demonstrate technical knowledge via work experience or a technical proficiency skills assessment.
- a GMAT or GRE score from tests administered within five years of the date of admission*;
- two confidential letters of recommendation from professional references (e.g. current or former college faculty member, current or former supervisor, community leader);
- a two page, double spaced statement of intent which discusses personal short and long term career goals and reasons for pursuing a MS in Business Analytics degree at this time and what about this particular program is going to help reach those goals. Please give specific personal examples of leadership and provide other pertinent information to help the committee select candidates who can benefit from and contribute to the program. The statement of intent offers applicants the opportunity to demonstrate writing and communication skills and supports your candidacy for the MS in Business Analytics; and
- a current resume.
*The GMAT or GRE may be waived for applicants who have met one of the following:
- a G.P.A. of 3.5 or higher for the last 60 hours, from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- five years of relevant full-time work experience that includes one or more of the following: managing people, projects, and/or budgets. Waiver requests will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis upon verification and committee approval; or
- meet the requirement for Guaranteed Admission to the Business Analytics (GABA) program for GSU undergraduate students including:
- business students having completed 12 hours (4 courses) in core business courses (ECON-3404; FIN-3110; MIS-3101; MGMT-3400; MGMT-3500; BUS-3700; or up to 2 MIS 3000 or 4000 selectives) at GSU with a minimum of 3.25 from those business courses taken at GSU; Or computer science, health informatics, or IT students having completed 12 hours (4 courses) in upper division coursework; And
- having or maintaining a 3.0 GPA or higher in last 60 hours of the undergraduate degree.
Current undergraduate students may only apply for GABA if they have met requirement (a) and completed at least 90 hours of their undergraduate degree program with at least an overall GPA of 3.25. Approved GABA students may waive the letters of recommendation special admission requirement.
Admission to the program requires an undergraduate degree in business analytics, computer science, engineering, information technology, health informatics, math, or a closely related area. Students admitted to the program will be required to demonstrate technical knowledge in the areas of spreadsheet skills, database skills, and basic programming. Required preparation technical knowledge may be demonstrated via prior coursework, work experience, or professional certifications. Students are not able to demonstrate required preparation for spreadsheet skills, database skills, and programming may be required to complete online self-paced modules during the first term of study.
After admission as a degree-seeking student, a student must also apply for candidacy. Application forms are available in the Academic Advising Office. To qualify for candidacy, a student must:
- satisfy all conditions of admission;
- maintain an overall G.P.A. of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all course work completed at Governors State University;
- complete foundation and prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher in each course and overall G.P.A. of 3.0 or better; and apply for candidacy after earning a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 12 graduate credit-hours (beyond foundation and prerequisite coursework). Students who complete more than 15 hours of degree requirements before attaining candidacy status may still be required to complete up to 18 additional hours, approved by the Dean, as a candidate before being approved for graduation by the college.
Students must meet all university requirements for a master’s degree.
Students must meet all collegial graduation requirements listed at the beginning of this section.
Business Core Requirements (15 hours)
Analytics Core Requirements (18 hours)
Capstone Experience (3 hours)
Internship for Academic Credit (optional 3 hours)
Students in the program may choose to complete an internship (BAN - 8880 Business Analytics Internship (1-3)) for academic credit during the final year of study. The optional internship is an additional 3 credit hours to the 36 hour degree program.
Total Credit Hours - 36 Hours